Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Winter blues, flus, and new shoes


Being an exceptional mom is alot of work. It requires personal attributes that can be attained by all, with hard work. For example:


Mom: I don't know why J is so grumpy. He has not let me put him down for a week. I am going crazy.
Dad: Just put him down that is the only way he is going to learn.
Mom: I just need you to hold him.

A couple of days later, with friends over...

D: He is so cranky.
M: He just ate right. Do you think he is still hungry?
At that moment it clicked, he needed more...4 ounces more plus real food. Yeah I am exceptional.
This is one of the finer qualities of being exceptional:


S: Mom I don't feel good. Can I stay home from school?
M: (After taking temp) No fever, you better hurry we are going to be late.
S: Mom my stomach is really upset!
M: I know you have a spelling test today, just do your best!
S: ok

One hour later....
School: Could you please come pick up S. she has thrown up twice.
E: On my way.

Nice right!
Or here is another quality of an exceptional mother:


Mom: Z you need to wear socks with your shoes or your feet are going to stink.
Z: Puts on socks only to take them off in 10 mins
Mom: I told you to wear your socks!
Z: My socks are to small, they hurt my feet.

Two weeks later-many battles over socks...

Mom: Z lets look at new shoes for you. Yours look like they are about done.
Z: Ok (Z loves shoes, I mean she would own every pair made in her size if I would let her)
Mom: How about these? (there is no possible way she can squeeze her foot into the shoe I picked out)
Let's measure your foot to see what size you need.
Hmmm...We need to go to the next aisle. Your shoes are three sizes to small, yikes!

Later at home...
Mom: I am throwing your shoes away.
Z: No MOM they still fit. Don't throw them away they have princesses on them!!


The next day we walked to the park (we do that alot). The shoes worked great. While we were there Z played with at least 7 different children maybe 10. Suddenly she comes up to me:

Z: My tummy hurts.
Mom: Are you hungry?
Z: I guess, do we have anything to eat.
Mom: Let's go home, we will get lunch there. Here have some water.
Z: Ok
(It is about a mile walk)

Half way there...

Z: Could you carry me..(as she stumbles around)
Mom: Ok but if you are going to throw up tell me. I don't want to be thrown up on.
Z: ok

I pick her up...and about 10 seconds later I throw her into the grass where she lets everything fly. I then had to encourage her to walk home the rest of the way. It was to far to go get the car and bring her home, plus I could not just leave her by the side of the road. But we made it. She lost it again at soon as we walked in the door and then again in our rocks out front as we went to pick S up from school.


Being exceptional is alot of work.

E

*I would be ok if we could go a good two weeks with out some one being sick, that would be fantastic

5 comments:

Cattigan said...

That is by far one of my favorite postings you have written. You are so wonderful to share those exceptional moments with us! I don't know if I could!!! LOL

Chalen said...

You coulduse any one of those to enter the meanest mom contest...or maybe you already did.

Groverfam said...

too funny! i find being exceptional is hard work myself. Alex was sick yesterday, for real, but he woke up fine this morning and I told him he needed to go to his wrestling tournament and then he was sick again..I told him if he was sick he would be treated sick no computer, no wii, bed or couch...he was no longer sick and now he's at his tournament- exceptional is hard work! He'll probably come home sick!

The Henricksen Journal said...

So funny! Makes me miss you even more!

Shana Eberhard said...

Looks like so much fun, and it's even warm! Lucky you...